Engage Energize Evolve

April 01, 2006

This "and" that..

Increasingly, the one competency that is emerging as most important seems to be the ability to manage contradictions.

How do I remain
creative while adopting the “best practice” approach? (read post titled Avoid Best Practices)
How can my employer claim to allow work life balance if he wants to remain connected with me at all times?
How do I share my learnings when I see indispensability being valued?

I think this involves reworking some fundamental connections that we have made. Understanding that the opposite of team is not the individual. That stability does not preclude change. That quantity is never at the cost of quality. We start to see the power of the “and” over the “either or”. And acknowledge that two seemingly opposite forces can co-exist. Otherwise, we will end up behaving like the rats in Skinners box, acting only for the rewards.

2 Comments:

  • absolutely...!

    Maybe it has something to do with our nature for taking one path in the fork where the path diverges.

    One really has to see that it's not about leaving a path, but about continuing a journey.

    You are talking about "co-holding" here, right?

    By Blogger Gautam Ghosh, at Monday, 03 April, 2006  

  • Yes Gautam..i guess what I call "possibility of inclusion"/"power of and", you call "co-holding". To take your analogy forward, its important to carry those contradictions along with you as you take that journey as they will be your sign posts...

    By Blogger Anuradha, at Monday, 03 April, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home