Engage Energize Evolve

June 23, 2006

I'm best when I'm uncomfortable!

I recently got told - "If you are not making people uncomfortable, you are not creating culture".

I barely got to recover from the intensity of that statement, when via Gautam I chanced upon this post by Seth Godin where he says - The time to switch jobs is before it feels comfortable

In almost immediate succession, I read "How have you stretched your comfort zone" at Occupational Adventure, which expands on a similar theme.

And as I try to "settle down and get more comfortable" with my new job (which also explains why I havent been able to blog for nearly a month), Ive been wondering whether comfort is such a good thing to aspire for after all.

In my current discomfited state, I have been
  • Asking a lot of questions
  • Finding answers
  • Making innumerable notes - mental and otherwise
  • Struggling
  • Absorbing
  • Keeping pace
  • Trying to stay ahead

And in hindsight, it appears to be a great phase to be in - after all arent these what characterise someone in a learning mode?

So i guess I wouldnt want to change anything about the way things are right now - except maybe find more time to blog!

Challenges: How do I keep maintaining this state especially since learning curves will flatten at some point? How can we build organizational structures and processes that can create and manage this discomfort?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home